2. When should a grievance be filed?

Before filing a grievance, you may seek informal resolution by contacting the Department Head (chair, dean, director, etc.) or his/her designee of the affected department within 60 days of the alleged discriminatory action. If your informal concern is not resolved within ten (10) days, you have the right to file a formal grievance under this procedure.

Any grievance not resolved by the procedure described in Step 1 above, may be referred to the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer (or their designee) by the grievant or a representative of the grievant, or the Department Director, within thirty (30) days of the Department Director's decision. Any such referral shall be in writing identifying the specific complaint, with the desired resolution. Upon request, referrals may be made using alternative formats.

The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer (or their designee) shall conduct an investigation of the complaint to determine its validity and issue a written decision within 60 days of the formal filing with them. There may be an extension for good cause, in which case you will be notified in writing. This investigation may be informal, but it must be thorough, affording all interested persons an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint. The ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer (or their designee) will maintain the files and records of the University relating to such grievances.