North-East Campus

Hearst Memorial Mining Building

Built 1907. Designed by John Galen Howard and financed by Phoebe Apperson Hearst as a memorial to her husband George, "a plain honest man and good miner," silver tycoon, and U.S. senator. The building underwent a massive restoration, completed in 2002, that included cutting-edge seismic retrofitting to protect the building in the event of a major earthquake.

Stanley Hall

Built 2007. Wendell M. Stanley, who won the 1946 Nobel Prize in chemistry, served Berkeley as biochemistry chair (1948-53), virology chair (1958-64), and founder and director of the virus lab (1948-69). Stanley Hall is the Berkeley headquarters for the California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3). The office and lab complex supports interdisciplinary teaching and research as part of the campus' Health Science Initiative.

Building Details

Floors: 12