South-East Campus

2224 Piedmont Ave.

Built 1909. Center for Digital Archaeology

Building Details

[under construction]

Morrison Hall

Built 1958. May T. Morrison, class of 1878, left money for this building in her will, as well as for the Morrison Library in Doe.

Building Details

[under construction]

Simon Hall

Built 1966. Once a residence hall for law students, it now houses offices for faculty, student organizations, and student publications.

Building Details

Floors: 9

Accessible entrances: The entrance on the south end of the building has a ramp and is equipped with an automatic door.

Restrooms: The mens and women's restrooms on the second floor are located in the north end of Simon Hall. Both are single user.

...

Minor Hall Addition

Built 1978. Completed in 1978, the building is a modernist concrete structure with woodbeam trim and substantial window bays providing an emphasis on open views. Minor Addition is home to the School of Optometry clinics, including the Meredith W. Morgan University Eye Center (Clinic), as well as administrative/staff rooms, and research laboratories and faculty offices.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The accessible entrance is located on the south side of the...

Minor Hall

Built 1941. Named for Ralph S. Minor, whose 1903-46 tenure as an optometry professor included a stint as dean of the School of Optometry. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. Although the building began life housing mathematics, journalism, and "defense" courses, it was given over to the Radiation Laboratory during the wartime development of the atomic bomb. It was remodeled in 1953 for the exclusive use of the School of Optometry.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The...

Hargrove Music Library

Built 2004. Home of the No. 1 academic library in the United States, this high-tech building in the "arts quadrangle" houses 190,000 volumes of printed music, books, and periodicals; more than 50,000 recordings; manuscripts; and other rare materials.

Building Details

[under construction]

International House

Built 1930. Home to nearly 600 international and U.S. students, I-House aims to foster intercultural respect and understanding by giving students and scholars from many lands a place to live and learn together. Despite considerable community resistance to the idea of mixing different nationalities, races, and genders under one roof, it opened in the midst of Berkeley's fraternity and sorority row in 1930, the first coeducational student residence west of the Mississippi. The building's Moorish-influenced design is by George Kelham.

Building Details

...

Hertz Hall

Built 1958. Named for the 1915-30 conductor of the San Francisco Symphony, Alfred Hertz, who left his estate to Berkeley for music. Hertz Hall's 678-seat concert hall hosts free noontime concerts during the academic year. The building also houses the music department's collection of historic organs.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: Exterior door on the west side ground level has an automatic opener activated by two push plates.

Restrooms: There...

Hearst Memorial Gymnasium

Built 1927. Campus architect John Galen Howard was away in Europe when the UC Regents awarded the design of the gymnasium to celebrated local architects Bernard Maybeck and Julia Morgan. It was named for campus benefactor and UC Regent Phoebe Apperson Hearst and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In addition to large and small gymnasiums and outdoor swimming pools, the building once contained an indoor rifle range.

Building Details

Floors: 3

...

Hearst Field Annex

Built 1999. This complex of metal-frame buildings hosts a changing array of departments and service units displaced by construction or space shortages elsewhere on campus.

Building Details

[under construction]