Due to COVID-19 and the related campus closure our community is holding many campus events remotely, and posting recordings of these events to their websites more than ever. Several people have asked for guidance on how to have ADA compliant and accessible remote events webpage embedded event recordings. Please see the following and contact us if you have further questions.
- Remote events that are open to an audience beyond staff and faculty need to have language on the invites/advertisements inviting potential participants that we can and will provide ASL or CART (remote captioning) upon their request.
- Someone who is involved in setting up the event will need to be or appoint an Access Coordinator. This person:
- Ensures that this required ADA language is put on promotional materials: "If you require an accommodation for effective communication (ASL interpreting/CART captioning, alternative media formats, etc.) to fully participate in this event, please contact [name of AC] at [contact information: phone number and email] with as much advance notice as possible and at least 7-10 days in advance of the event."
- Needs to gather the necessary contact and event information from anyone who requests the accommodation, and submit a Communications Request (CR) for direct communications services.
- Needs to confirm the event point-of-contact designee establishes communications with vendor to ensure an audio signal is available to translate event content.
- Captioning Pre-Recorded Events; Posting Pre-recorded and Post-production Recordings: If you are going to post the/a recorded remote event on a public-facing website, it must be captioned. And if you have a public-facing site with previously embedded videos without captioning, you must caption it prior to posting. Options for captioning can be explored on UCOP's website accessibility website and UC Berkeley's web access page. For information about how to add closed captions to video content please visit the UC Berkeley web access page and the UCOP page.
You can also contact our Captioning vendor Aberdeen’s post-production service . Aberdeen is a vendor in the Berkeley financial system and your unit can enter into a business relationship for their services. Also, because many departments and offices have years of uncaptioned recorded events on their public facing websites, you should have language on your landing page stating:
"If you require captioning to access a pre-recorded event on our site, please contact [name of webmaster] at [contact information: phone number and email]. Please expect 7-10 days for captioning to be provided."
If a captioning request is received, your department should use a professional third-party captioning vendor. Our campus vendor Aberdeen provides post-production captioning services called AberCap. Please visit their website to learn more about how they can assist you in adding closed captions to your video content.
For more information and ideas around remote events on Zoom and post-event recordings, plese consult UCOP's website accessibility website and UC Berkeley's web access page. For more information regarding Zoom security and accessibility, please consult the Information Security Office's Settings for Securing Zoom, and the UCOP Zoom and Accessibility Guidelines.