Campus Buildings

Aerial view of the Berkeley campus.

Please use the search filters below to see campus building sorted by their location on campus, their major uses, their name, etc.

1608 4th St.

Campus Shared Services

Building Details

[under construction]

1925 Walnut St.

UCB Retirement Center, OLLI

Building Details

[under construction]

2108 Allston Way

Berkeley Wireless Research Center

Building Details

[under construction]

2224 Piedmont Ave.

Built 1909. Center for Digital Archaeology

Building Details

[under construction]

2240 Piedmont Ave.

Center for the Study of Law and Society, Legal Studies undergraduate major department, Jurisprudence and Social Policy PhD program

Building Details

[under construction]

2420 Bowditch

Building Details

Floors: 3

Year built: 1895

2483 Hearst Ave.

Building Details

[under construction]

2536 Channing Way

Building Details

Floors: 2

Year built: 1895

2536A Channing Way

Building Details

Floors: 2

Year built: 1895

2538 Channing Way

Building Details

Floors: 4

Year built: 1895

2538A Channing Way

Building Details

Floors: 2

Year built: 1895

Academic Achievement Program (2515 Channing)

Building Details

Floors: 2

Year built: 1920

Alumni House

Built with funds from thousands of alumni donations, this contemporary structure along the banks of Strawberry Creek is a meeting place for alumni revisiting campus and headquarters for the California Alumni Assocation.

Anna Head Alumnae Hall

Anna Head Alumnae Hall was built as an assembly hall in 1927 and covers approximately 6,500 square feet of the larger Anna Head School Complex, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Anthony Hall

Named for alumnus Earle C. Anthony, the world's most prominent Packard car dealer, who founded (in 1903) the Pelican, Berkeley's first humor magazine, during his student years.

Archaeological Research Facility

Located at 2251 College Ave, the Archaeological Research Facility once housed Zeta Psi, the oldest fraternity west of the Misissippi River.

Building Details

[under construction]

Architects & Engineers (A&E)

Built in 1929. Originally the Buildings & Grounds building, it was designed by W.P. Stephenson. It now houses the campus planning staff.

Building Details

[under construction]

Bancroft Dance Studio (2401 Bancroft Way)

Built 1898. Began life as the First Unitarian Church, designed by A.C. Schweinfurth. It was acquired by the university in 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Bancroft Library

Built 1949.

Banway Building (2111 Bancroft Way)

Built 1961.

Building Details

[under construction]

Barker Hall

Built 1964. Designed by William Wurster and named for Horace Albert Barker, a biochemist specializing in metabolism.

Building Details

[under construction]

Barrows Hall

Built 1964. Named for David Prescott Barrows, political science professor and president of the university from 1919-23.

Bechtel Engineering Center

Built 1980. Named for Stephen D. Bechtel, who attended Berkeley before taking the reins of the Bechtel engineering empire.

Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive

Built 2016. BAMPFA is the visual arts center of UC Berkeley. Its mission is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art and film.

Berkeley Law Building

Built 1966. Originally the name of Durant Hall, which housed the law school before it moved to the southeast corner of campus.

Berkeley Way West

Built 2018.

Building Details

[under construction]

Birge Hall

Built 1964. Raymond Thayer Birge had been a professor of physics for 45 years (including 22 as department chair) when the new Birge Hall was named in his honor.

Blum Hall

Built 2010. The Blum Center’s home is a 22,000 square foot complex completed in 2010.

Bowles Hall

Built 1929. The first residence hall on campus, this medieval mansion, designed by George Kelham, has a long history of pranks, rites, and other traditions that have set "Bowlesmen" apart on an already nonconformist campus.

California Hall

Built 1905. The building began life as the campus administration building, a role to which it has somewhat returned after decades of classroom use. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Calvin Laboratory

Built 1964. Melvin Calvin, molecular biology professor, won the 1961 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on photosynthesis.

Campbell Hall

Built 2014. Named for William Wallace Campbell, astronomy professor, director of the Lick Observatory, and university president from 1923-30.

Career Center (2440 Bancroft Way)

Built 1930. Students can find employment and internships through the services of the Career Center.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Center for Latin American Studies (2334 Bowditch)

Built 1920.

Building Details

Floors: 2

Center for Southeast Asian Studies (1995 University Ave.)

The Center for Southeast Asia Studies is one of the oldest and most prominent academic centers concerned with Southeast Asia in the United States.

Cesar E. Chavez Student Center

Built 1960. Named in honor of the charismatic founding president of the farm workers' union. The building was once mainly a dining commons and lounge, but in 1990 it was renovated to house various student services.

Channing-Bowditch Apartments (2535 Channing Way)

Building Details

[under construction]

Cheit Hall

Built 1995. Located within the Haas School of Business.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Chou Hall

Built 2018. Connie and Kevin Chou Hall is on track to be the country's greenest academic building.

Clark Kerr Campus

Built 1949. Built in 1949 as the California Schools for the Deaf and Blind; became the Clark Kerr Campus in 1986, named in honor of Berkeley's first chancellor. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Cleary Hall

Built 1992. Across the street from the Unit 3 high-rise residence halls, Cleary Hall is home to two of the campus's residence hall theme programs: Casa Magdalena Mora for Chicano/Latino studies, and the Asian Pacific American theme program.

CNMAT (1750 Arch)

Building Details

[under construction]

Cory Hall

Built 1950. Named for Clarence L. Cory, dean of the College of Mechanics and a faculty member for almost 40 years, Cory had a fifth floor added in 1985, the exterior of which features a computer chip-inspired design motif.

Davis Hall

Built 1968. Professor Raymond Davis spent 50 years on the Berkeley faculty and developed the Engineering Materials Laboratory into one of the world's finest.

Demography (2232 Piedmont)

Building Details

[under construction]

Doe Memorial Library

Named for Charles Franklin Doe, who came from Maine in 1857 as a schoolteacher and made his fortune in California. He left a quarter of his estate to the university for construction of a new library.

Donner Laboratory

Built 1942. The lab was funded by William H. Donner, president of the Donner Steel Corp., who donated money to the university for work in nuclear medicine following his son's death from cancer.

Durant Hall

Built 1911. Originally the Boalt Memorial Hall of Law, it was renamed for Henry Durant, the university's first president in 1870-72, after the law school moved to the southeast side of campus in 1951. Designed by John Galen Howard.

Dwight Way Child Development Center (2427 Dwight)

Building Details

Floors: 1

Year built: 1953

Dwinelle Annex

Built 1920. Originally built for military science instruction, the building was designed by campus architect John Galen Howard. It was occupied for a quarter century by the music department (1933-58).

Dwinelle Hall

Built 1952. With more than 300,000 square feet of office and classroom space, an infuriating room-numbering system, and a layout often likened to a maze, Dwinelle is the second largest building on campus. It is named for John W.

Edwards Stadium

Building Details

Floors: 1

Year built: 1932

Energy Biosciences Building

Built 2012. Multidisciplinary faculty who are applying modern biology to the production of biofuels are housed in EBB, along with Bioengineering faculty focused on synthetic biology. The Robert J.

Eshleman Hall

Built 2015. ASUC Student Union, Public Service Center, Graduate Assembly, bridges Multicultural Resource Center, LEAD Center, Queer Alliance and Resource Center.

Etcheverry Hall

Built 1964. The first UC-built building on the north side of Hearst Ave., it was named for Bernard Etcheverry, professor of drainage and irrigation and chairman of the department for nearly three decades.

Evans Baseball Diamond

Building Details

[under construction]

Evans Hall

Built 1971.

Faculty Club

Built 1903.

Fall Program for Freshmen (2515 Hillegass Ave.)

Building Details

[under construction]

Foothill Residence Halls

Built 1990. Foothill's wood-shingled buildings, surrounded by tall trees, provide views of the Bay and the city of Berkeley from a quiet Northside neighborhood.

Founders Building

Building Details

Floors: 1

Year built: 1993

Fox Cottage (2350 Bowditch)

Built 1930. Staff Ombuds Office.

Building Details

[under construction]

Genetics & Plant Biology

Built 1990. One of four circa-1990 building projects aimed at revitalizing the biological sciences on the Berkeley campus, this building houses classrooms, laboratories, and office space.

Giannini Hall

Built 1930. Designed by William C. Hays, this building was named for benefactor Amadeo Peter Giannini, founder of the Bank of Italy (which eventually became the Bank of America).

Giauque Hall

Built 1954. Chemist William F. Giauque won the Nobel Prize in 1949 for low-temperature research. Labs in the largely underground building conduct research into properties of matter at supercold temperatures.

Gilman Hall

Built 1917. Daniel Coit Gilman was a geology professor at Yale who became the University of California's second president (1872-75) before going on to found the Johns Hopkins University. The building was designed by John Galen Howard.

Golden Bear Center (1995 University)

Built 1998. Extension, Parking and Transportation, Summer Sessions, Procurement Services, Bluecard, Institute of East Asian Studies, Center for Southeast Asian Studies

Goldman School of Public Policy

Built 1893, 2002. This Tudor-style mansion at 2607 Hearst began life as the Beta Theta fraternity chapter house, and was one of the first buildings in the heavily wooded residential neighborhood on the north border of campus.

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed.

Haas Clubhouse

Located on Centennial Drive east of Memorial Stadium, the Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area offers the spectacular Club House.

Haas Pavilion

Built 1999. Built in 1933 as Harmon Gym; reconstructed in 1999 as Haas Pavilion, a state-of-the-art basketball arena and sports facility that preserved the intimacy, noise level, and intimidating home-court advantage of its predecessor.

Haas School of Business

Built 1995 & 2018. The Haas School is a mini-campus of four buildings set around a central courtyard.

Hargrove Music Library

Built 2004. Home of the No.

Harold E. Jones Child Study Center (2425 Atherton)

Built 1960. University Preschool, Greater Good Science Center.

Building Details

Floors: 1

Haste St. Child Development Center

Building Details

[under construction]

Haviland Hall

Built 1924. Designed by John Galen Howard and named in honor of San Francisco banker J.T.H. Haviland, whose wife donated the funds for the building. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Hearst Field Annex

Built 1999. This complex of metal-frame buildings hosts a changing array of departments and service units displaced by construction or space shortages elsewhere on campus.

Hearst Memorial Gymnasium

Built 1927. Campus architect John Galen Howard was away in Europe when the UC Regents awarded the design of the gymnasium to celebrated local architects Bernard Maybeck and Julia Morgan.

Hearst Memorial Mining Building

Built 1907. Designed by John Galen Howard and financed by Phoebe Apperson Hearst as a memorial to her husband George, "a plain honest man and good miner," silver tycoon, and U.S. senator.

Hellman Tennis Center

Built 1983. Named in honor of former alumnus Isias Warren Hellman III, the Hellman Tennis Center is home to Cal's tennis teams.

Henry H. Wheeler Brain Imaging Center

Built 1998. The Henry H. "Sam" Wheeler, Jr. Brain Imaging Center (BIC) houses one of the most powerful human research functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) system in the United States.

Hertz Hall

Built 1958. Named for the 1915-30 conductor of the San Francisco Symphony, Alfred Hertz, who left his estate to Berkeley for music. Hertz Hall's 678-seat concert hall hosts free noontime concerts during the academic year.

Hesse Hall

Built 1924. Designed by John Galen Howard and named for the Prussian-born founder of the College of Mechanics, Frederick Godfrey Hesse.

Hildebrand Hall

Built 1966. Named after Joel Hildebrand, longtime chemistry professor and dean, and the inventor of Chem-1A's fabled Big Game Titration.

Hilgard Hall

Built 1917. Designed by John Galen Howard, this was one of the first campus buildings to acknowledge the city of Berkeley (by attempting to face both inward and outward at the same time).

Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House

Built 2002. The first building at UC Berkeley named for an African-American woman — Ida Louise Jackson, daughter of a slave and pioneering educator in both California and her native Deep South.

Insectary Greenhouse

Building Details

[under construction]

Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (2521 Channing Way)

Built 1928. Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE), Institute for Research on Labor and Employment Library.

International House

Built 1930. Home to nearly 600 international and U.S. students, I-House aims to foster intercultural respect and understanding by giving students and scholars from many lands a place to live and learn together.

Investigative Reporting Program (2481 Hearst Ave.)

Building Details

[under construction]

Jacobs Hall

Built 2015. Jacobs Hall, hub of the interdisciplinary Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation, contains 24,000 square feet of design studios and maker labs with access to the latest equipment for rapid prototyping and fabrication.

Julia Morgan Hall

Built 1912. Designed by Julia Morgan as Senior Women's Hall, it was paid for entirely by university women and named for Girton College, Cambridge - the first women's college at a university in England.

Koshland Hall

Built 1990. Named for Daniel Koshland, a Berkeley alumnus, biochemistry professor, and longtime editor of Science magazine.

Building Details

Floors: 8

Kroeber Hall

Built 1959. Named for anthropology professor Alfred Kroeber, it houses the Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology and the Worth Ryder Art Gallery, in addition to classroom and office space.

Latimer Hall

Built 1963. Named for Wendell Latimer, dean of the College of Chemistry in the 1940s, the building contains chemistry labs and classrooms.

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Built 1931. Founded in 1931 by Ernest Orlando Lawrence as the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory, this U.S. Department of Energy facility is managed by the University of California.

Lawrence Hall of Science

Built 1968. Established at UC Berkeley in honor of Ernest O.

Leconte Hall

Built 1924. This was the site of the world's first atom smasher, built in 1931 by Ernest O. Lawrence, Berkeley's first Nobel laureate.

Lewis Hall

Built 1948. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr., and named for Gilbert Lewis, dean of the College of Chemistry from 1912-41.

Building Details 

Floors: 6

Li Ka Shing Center

Built 2011. The Li Ka-shing Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences will make a huge contribution to the advancement of medical research.

Life Sciences Addition

Built 1988. Part of a major campus drive to improve facilities for biology studies, the six-story LSA houses 46 laboratory suites for advanced biological research.

Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life (2121 Allston Way)

An archive, library and museum holdings include art, objects, texts, music, and historical documents about the Jews in the Global Diaspora and the American West.

Main (Gardner) Stacks

Building Details

[under construction]

Manville Hall

Building Details

[under construction]

Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union

Rebuilt 2015. The Student Union, owned by the ASUC Auxiliary, was constructed with funds gained from the sale of the Cal sports teams to the university in 1959.

Martinez Commons

Built 2012.

Math Sciences Research Institute (MSRI)

Built 1982. MSRI's funding sources include the National Science Foundation, foundations, corporations, and more than 90 universities and institutions.

Maxwell Family Field and Stadium Garage

440 spaces for public hourly parking. Monthly parking also available.

Building Details

[under construction]

McCone Hall

Built 1961.

McEnerney Hall

Under construction

McLaughlin Hall

Built 1931. Named for Donald McLaughlin, a professor at Harvard and Berkeley, first dean of engineering (1941-43), UC Regent (1951-67), and Peruvian gold mining tycoon.

Minor Hall

Built 1941. Named for Ralph S. Minor, whose 1903-46 tenure as an optometry professor included a stint as dean of the School of Optometry. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr.

Minor Hall Addition

Built 1978. Completed in 1978, the building is a modernist concrete structure with woodbeam trim and substantial window bays providing an emphasis on open views.

Moffitt Library

Built 1970. Moffitt Library offers a 24 hour environment for individual and group study space, plus course reserves, a makerspace, campus classrooms, and convenient access to the research collections in the Gardner (MAIN) Stacks.

Morgan Hall

Built 1953. Named for Agnes Fay Morgan, professor of nutrition from 1915-54.

Building Details

Floors: 8

Morrison Hall

Built 1958. May T. Morrison, class of 1878, left money for this building in her will, as well as for the Morrison Library in Doe.

Building Details

[under construction]

Moses Hall

Built 1931. Named for Bernard Moses, history professor from 1876-1930. The George Kelham-designed building started life as Eshleman Hall, home of the Daily Cal, before it was sold to the Regents in 1959 and renamed.

Mulford Hall

Built 1948. Named for Water Mulford, first dean of the School of Forestry, 1914-47.

Natural Resources Laboratory

Building Details

[under construction]

No Classrooms Template Page

Built 1930. Students can find employment and internships through the services of the Career Center.

Building Details

[under construction]

North Gate Hall

Built 1906. This John Galen Howard building originally housed the School of Architecture and was affectionately called "the Ark." Added to the National Register if Historic Places in 1982.

O'Brien Hall

Built 1959. Morrough O'Brien spent two decades as an engineering professor before serving as dean of the College of Engineering from 1948-59. O'Brien Hall houses environmental engineering and the Water Resources Center Archives.

Office of Public Affairs

Built 1974. A bike shop and a bank in former lives; now home to the Berkeleyan newspaper, web NewsCenter, Media Relations, and other communications operations.

Old Art Gallery

Built 1904. Designed by John Galen Howard and originally a steam plant before being moved to its present site, the building is destined to be restored as an intimate musical performance and rehearsal space.

Oxford Research Unit

Building Details

[under construction]

 

Parking Structure A

Under construction

Parking Structure H

Under construction

Parking Structure U

Under construction

Pimentel Hall

Built 1964.

Residential & Student Services (2610 Channing Way)

Building Details

[under construction]

Sather Tower (Campanile)

Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice.

Senior Hall

Built 1906. This log cabin behind the Faculty Club was originally a meeting hall for the senior class. It was the first campus building to be built with student donations.

Simon Hall

Built 1966. Once a residence hall for law students, it now houses offices for faculty, student organizations, and student publications.

Simpson Center for Student-Athlete High Performance

Building Details

[under construction]

Soda Hall

Built 1994. Funded by the Y & H Soda Foundation and named in honor of Y. Charles and Helen Soda as a tribute to their commitment to education in the Bay Area.

South Hall

Built 1873. The oldest structure on campus, and the only surviving building of the original university nucleus, South Hall was the original home of the College of Agriculture.

Spieker Aquatics Complex

Built 1999. Serving as home to the California water polo and swimming teams is the Spieker Aquatics Complex, one of the finest outdoor facilities in the United States.

Sproul Hall

Built 1941. Robert Gordon Sproul graduated from Berkeley in 1913, then worked his way up at his alma mater from cashier to president (1930-58).

Stanley Hall

Built 2007. Wendell M. Stanley, who won the 1946 Nobel Prize in chemistry, served Berkeley as biochemistry chair (1948-53), virology chair (1958-64), and founder and director of the virus lab (1948-69).

Starr East Asian Library

Built 2008. Berkeley’s vast collection of East Asian manuscripts and artifacts -- assembled over the past century -- is housed in this library, the first freestanding structure at a U.S. university erected solely for East Asian collections.

Stephens Hall

Built 1923. The building, which formerly served as the Student Union, was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by John Galen Howard and named for Henry Morse Stephens, a professor and student adviser.

Stern Hall

Built 1942. This all-female dorm is named for Rosalie Stern, whose husband, Sigmund, served as manager of the Blue and Gold yearbook. It was the first university-owned residence hall for women.

Sutardja Dai Hall (CITRIS)

Built 2009. This 141,000-square-foot building is the headquarters of CITRIS, the multi-campus interdisciplinary research program that is one of four California Institutes for Science and Innovation.

Tan Hall

Built 1996. Named in honor of Tan Kah Kee, a pioneering industrialist and philanthropist in China and Singapore.

Tang Center

Built 1993. A major gift from Hong Kong businessman Jack C.C. Tang, two of whose daughters graduated from Berkeley, helped fund this center for student health care.

Template Page

Text

Building Details

 

Tolman Hall

Built 1962. Tolman Hall's mid-20th century modernist look, inspired by the work of famed architect Le Corbusier, won a major award for architect Gardner Dailey, who also designed Evans, Morrison, Hertz, and Kroeber Halls.

UC Berkeley Art Museum

Under construction

UC Garage

Under construction

Underhill Field and Parking

Built 2008. Atop the lot, a 77,400-square-foot synthetic turf playing fieldhosts intramural sports leagues, sport club practices, and special events.

Building Details

[under construction]

Unit 1

Built 1960. Built to accomodate the flood of new students entering UC Berkeley in the 1960s. Designed by John Warnecke.

Unit 2

Built 1960. Designed by John Warnecke, and built to accommodate the surge of new students in the 1960s.

Unit 3

Built 1964. Designed by John Warnecke, these four high-rise residence halls (Ida Sproul, Norton, Priestly, Spens-Black) were the last of the three Southside units to be built for the flood of 1960s students.

University Hall

Built 1959. This seven-story tower at the west edge of campus, designed by Welton Becet & Associates, originally housed the University of California Office of the President.

University House

Built 1907. French architect Henri Jean Emile Benard was the winner of the university's Comprehensive Building Plan of 1900, funded by campus benefactor Phoebe Apperson Hearst.

Valley Life Sciences Building

Built 1930. Named not for its location but for Wayne and Gladys Valley, who contributed toward the vast building's major renovation in the early 1990s.

Warren Hall (2195 Hearst Ave.)

Located at 2195 Hearst Ave, this high-tech building is home to several units of the campus’s Information Services and Technology unit, a central facility for campus IT and computing.

Wellman Hall

Built 1912. Harry Wellman, professor of agricultural economics, was acting university president in 1967 when the building's name was changed from Agriculture Hall.

Wheeler Hall

Named for Benjamin Ide Wheeler, university president during Berkeley's "golden years" from 1899-1919.

Women's Faculty Club

Built 1923. The wood-framed structure designed by John Galen Howard includes living rooms, a lounge, and dining rooms.

Building Details

[under construction]

Woo Hon Fai Hall

Built 1970. Woo Hon Fai Hall is the former home of the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive. The 103,000-square-foot concrete structure opened its doors to the public in 1970.

Wurster Hall

Built 1964. Although home to Berkeley's architecture department, Wurster is often voted Berkeley's ugliest building for its Brutalist, bare concrete appearance.

Zellerbach Hall

Built 1968. The primary fine arts performance space on campus is named for Isadore and Jennie Zellerbach, who contributed $1 million toward its construction.