Recommendations & Resources
Welcome! This webpage has resources for you to use while completing the Post Self-Evaluation Work Plan. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that we complete a Self Evaluation to determine if all our programs, services and activities are accessible to disabled people. In 2020 an ADA Self-Evaluation survey was distributed to each of 40 university units. In 2021 the responses were used to inform a work plan for campus units to increase programmatic access for disabled people. In 2022 each unit's leadership was asked to assign a lead to direct their unit's completion of the Post Self Evaluation Work Plan. We hope that most units can complete the Work Plan by the end of 2023.
The sections below mirror the categories on the survey and work plans. In each section, there is:
- a brief description;
- a list of recommendations made for that section (with interpretive and contextual information, where appropriate); and
- a training that will include information, additional resources, and/or actions to take (e.g., embed CA Relay 711 in email signature blocks so Deaf or Hard of Hearing people can contact you via a communication relay center).
A few notes before you dive in:
- We recommend starting with the IT section because the recommendations, tasks and trainings will help prepare units for pending changes required by the campus' new consent decree with the Department of Justice.
- Remember that the following module sections/trainings are are meant only to be taken by particular entities on campus that do this specialized work: Instructors; Law Enforcement; Museums; Libraries, Student Housing; Student Dining; Facilities & Real Estate; Capital Projects; Press & Public Relations; Medical & Student Health Services; Physical Education & Recreational Sports, and; Atypical Education.
- Please notify the UC Berkeley Programmatic Access Project Manager with any questions regarding the actions or resources, or if you encounter disability access barriers. Equal access is a top priority at every step.
- Each unit is responsible for maintaining records of which employees received what training. Here is a training tracker(link is external); please use this (make a copy for yourself) or any other tool if it helps you, then enter the information into column 'I' on your work plan.
- Here is a short overview of the process.