All Buildings

All campus buildings are child topics of this tag.

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed. It was modeled after the theater at Epidaurus, with a few Roman elements thrown in. The 7,200-seat open-air theater has been host to numerous commencements, concerts, plays, speeches by presidents and other luminaries, and Big Game rallies. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Archaeological Research Facility

Located at 2251 College, the Archaeological Research Facility once housed Zeta Psi, the oldest fraternity west of the Misissippi River.

Building Details

[under construction]

McLaughlin Hall

Built 1931. Named for Donald McLaughlin, a professor at Harvard and Berkeley, first dean of engineering (1941-43), UC Regent (1951-67), and Peruvian gold mining tycoon. The building was designed by George Kelham and houses the main offices of the College of Engineering.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Hildebrand Hall

Built 1966. Named after Joel Hildebrand, longtime chemistry professor and dean, and the inventor of Chem-1A's fabled Big Game Titration. The building houses graduate research laboratories, undergraduate teaching labs, and the chemistry library.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Haas Pavilion

Built 1999. Built in 1933 as Harmon Gym; reconstructed in 1999 as Haas Pavilion, a state-of-the-art basketball arena and sports facility that preserved the intimacy, noise level, and intimidating home-court advantage of its predecessor. The 12,000-seat complex is named in honor of Walter A. Haas, Jr.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Underhill Field and Parking

Built 2008. Atop the lot, a 77,400-square-foot synthetic turf playing fieldhosts intramural sports leagues, sport club practices, and special events.

Building Details

[under construction]

Bancroft Dance Studio (2401 Bancroft Way)

Built 1898. Began life as the First Unitarian Church, designed by A.C. Schweinfurth. It was acquired by the university in 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Buildings Details

Floors: 2

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrace on the east side of the building at the top of the ramp.

Restrooms: There is an usable restroom on the ground floor.

Berkeley Way West

Built 2018.

Building Details

[under construction]

Space Sciences Laboratory

Built 1959. The Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) at Berkeley was initiated in 1958 by a committee of the faculty who recognized that the new technology of rockets and satellites opened new realms of investigation and research to the physical, biological, and engineering sciences. The Laboratory is located in a wooded site with a view of the bay which is one of the most beautiful on the Berkeley campus.

Building Details

[under construction]

Morrison Hall

Built 1958. May T. Morrison, class of 1878, left money for this building in her will, as well as for the Morrison Library in Doe.

Building Details

[under construction]