All Buildings

All campus buildings are child topics of this tag.

Hargrove Music Library

Built 2004. Home of the No. 1 academic library in the United States, this high-tech building in the "arts quadrangle" houses 190,000 volumes of printed music, books, and periodicals; more than 50,000 recordings; manuscripts; and other rare materials.

Building Details

[under construction]

Wheeler Hall

Named for Benjamin Ide Wheeler, university president during Berkeley's "golden years" from 1899-1919. The French Baroque facade includes arched doorways leading into a vaulted auditorium lobby, ionic columns across the middle floors, and a colonnade ornamented with urn-shaped lamps symbolizing, according to designer John Galen Howard, "the light of learning." It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

Floors: 5
Year built: 1917
Accessible entrances: There are two usable...

Soda Hall

Built 1994. Funded by the Y & H Soda Foundation and named in honor of Y. Charles and Helen Soda as a tribute to their commitment to education in the Bay Area. With classrooms, labs, and offices, Soda Hall was designed with its Computer Science residents in mind: its open alcoves encourage informal interactions among students and faculty, and its labs and offices are grouped to foster a team approach to computing innovation. In Soda Hall, "the building is the computer," with advanced networking, wireless capabilities, and access to computer clusters for shared computing power,...

McCone Hall

Built 1961. Designed by John Warnecke, McCone Hall houses several academic departments in the earth sciences, as well as the Berkeley Seismological Laboratory, one of the world's foremost centers for the study of earthquakes, and the Earth Sciences and Map Library. It is named for alumnus and former CIA director John McCone.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Accessible entrances: There are three entrances to McCone Hall. The south side ground level entrance is usable...

Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union

Rebuilt 2015. The Student Union, owned by the ASUC Auxiliary, was constructed with funds gained from the sale of the Cal sports teams to the university in 1959. It contains an information center, multicultural center, lounges, a bookstore, restaurants and a pub, an art studio and computer lab. The orignal building was designed by Vernon DeMars, professor of architecture.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Accessible entrances: There are usable entrances on the second floor accessed via a...

Latimer Hall

Built 1963. Named for Wendell Latimer, dean of the College of Chemistry in the 1940s, the building contains chemistry labs and classrooms. On the plaza southwest of Latimer Hall is a cupola, all that remains of the original chemistry building on campus.

Building Details

Floors: 11

Accessible entrances: The breezeway entrance to the building has usable entrances on both the north and south side of the facility.

Restrooms: There is a set of...

Architects & Engineers (A&E)

Built in 1929. Originally the Buildings & Grounds building, it was designed by W.P. Stephenson. It now houses the campus planning staff.

Building Details

[under construction]

Archaeological Research Facility

Located at 2251 College, the Archaeological Research Facility once housed Zeta Psi, the oldest fraternity west of the Misissippi River.

Building Details

[under construction]

Anna Head Alumnae Hall

Anna Head Alumnae Hall was built as an assembly hall in 1927 and covers approximately 6,500 square feet of the larger Anna Head School Complex, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located at 2537 Haste Street, it seats up to 160.

Social Sciences Building (SSB)

Built 1964. Formerly named Barrows Hall for David Prescott Barrows, political science professor and president of the university from 1919-23. This building was de-named in recognition of UC Berkeley's commitment to social justice and equity.

Building Information

Floors: 10
Accessible entrances: Four Automatic entrances located on the Ground floor. Three are located on East and West corners of the building, while the fourth is accessed via a ramp on the north side courtyard.