Built 1941. Named for Ralph S. Minor, whose 1903-46 tenure as an optometry professor included a stint as dean of the School of Optometry. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. Although the building began life housing mathematics, journalism, and "defense" courses, it was given over to the Radiation Laboratory during the wartime development of the atomic bomb. It was remodeled in 1953 for the exclusive use of the School of Optometry.
Built 1982. MSRI's funding sources include the National Science Foundation, foundations, corporations, and more than 90 universities and institutions. The Institute is located on the University of California, Berkeley campus, close to Grizzly Peak, on the hills overlooking Berkeley.
Built 2012. Located at 2520 Channing Way, Maximo Martinez Commons opened its doors in August 2012, when more than 400 students, mostly sophomores, took up residence in the modern six-story facility built to LED Gold Sustainability standards. The commons is named in memory f Max Martinez, a longtime Berkeley staff member who dedicated his career to helping students, particularly the underprivileged.
Rebuilt 2015. The Student Union, owned by the ASUC Auxiliary, was constructed with funds gained from the sale of the Cal sports teams to the university in 1959. It contains an information center, multicultural center, lounges, a bookstore, restaurants and a pub, an art studio and computer lab. The orignal building was designed by Vernon DeMars, professor of architecture.
Built 2016. The name honors coaching legends at Berkeley like the late Pete Cutino, considered one of the nation’s finest water polo coaches, and the four devoted alumni – Ned Spieker, Rick Cronk, Don Fisher and Warren Hellman, former student-athletes on the Cal men’s swimming and diving and water polo teams. The facility is primarily for the training of Cal’s intercollegiate swimmers, divers and water polo players.
Built 1968. Established at UC Berkeley in honor of Ernest O. Lawrence, UC's first Nobel laureate, Lawrence Hall of Science is a resource center for preschool through high school science and mathematics education, and a public science center with hands-on experiences for learners of all ages.
Built 1931. Founded in 1931 by Ernest Orlando Lawrence as the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory, this U.S. Department of Energy facility is managed by the University of California. Among the 76 buildings nestled in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus is the Advanced Light Source, formerly Lawrence's 184-inch cyclotron, which played a key role in opening the Atomic Age.
Built 1990. Named for Daniel Koshland, a Berkeley alumnus, biochemistry professor, and longtime editor of Science magazine.
Accessible entrances: Building can be entered on the lower level from the Northwest Parking Facility. There is a usable entrance on the south side of the entry level, 50 feet from the elevators and the main staircase.
Built 1912. Designed by Julia Morgan as Senior Women's Hall, it was paid for entirely by university women and named for Girton College, Cambridge - the first women's college at a university in England. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.