All Buildings

All campus buildings are child topics of this tag.

Calvin Laboratory

Built 1964. Melvin Calvin, molecular biology professor, won the 1961 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on photosynthesis. He designed a round lab so that everyone's office would open onto a central room, thus generating creative interaction.

Building Details

[under construction]

Barker Hall

Built 1964. Designed by William Wurster and named for Horace Albert Barker, a biochemist specializing in metabolism.

Building Details

[under construction]

Bancroft Library

Built 1949. Home to many of the university Library's special collections, including one of the largest collections of Western Americana, the library was founded with Hubert Howe Bancroft's 19th century gift of his extensive library of California and Western history. The Bancroft also includes the Mark Twain Papers, the Regional Oral History Office, the University of California Archives, and other collections and artifacts. The building, designed by Arthur Brown Jr., reopened in 2009 after a major seismic upgrade; its newly renovated interior is one of the campus’s most beautiful...

2240 Piedmont Ave.

Center for the Study of Law and Society, Legal Studies undergraduate major department, Jurisprudence and Social Policy PhD program

Building Details

[under construction]

2224 Piedmont Ave.

Built 1909. Center for Digital Archaeology

Building Details

[under construction]

Cesar E. Chavez Student Center

Built 1960. Named in honor of the charismatic founding president of the farm workers' union. The building was once mainly a dining commons and lounge, but in 1990 it was renovated to house various student services.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: There is an Automatic door on the basement level from MLK Student Union Garage. An automatic opener is provided on the basement level. The main entrance from Lower Sproul Plaza on level one provides...

Energy Biosciences Building

Built 2012. Multidisciplinary faculty who are applying modern biology to the production of biofuels are housed in EBB, along with Bioengineering faculty focused on synthetic biology. The Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Energy Garden on the south side of the building recognizes Berkeley's ninth chancellor and showcases plants that are potential biofuel feedstocks.

Building Details

[under construction]

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed. It was modeled after the theater at Epidaurus, with a few Roman elements thrown in. The 7,200-seat open-air theater has been host to numerous commencements, concerts, plays, speeches by presidents and other luminaries, and Big Game rallies. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details...

McLaughlin Hall

Built 1931. Named for Donald McLaughlin, a professor at Harvard and Berkeley, first dean of engineering (1941-43), UC Regent (1951-67), and Peruvian gold mining tycoon. The building was designed by George Kelham and houses the main offices of the College of Engineering.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Accessible entrances: The building is only usable through the adjacent O'Brien Breezeway entrance, which provides an automatic opener and leads to level two of McLaughlin Hall....

Hildebrand Hall

Built 1966. Named after Joel Hildebrand, longtime chemistry professor and dean, and the inventor of Chem-1A's fabled Big Game Titration. The building houses graduate research laboratories, undergraduate teaching labs, and the chemistry library.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Accessible entrances: There are two entrances to Hildebrand. The first is the breezway accessible from the south. The second is the library and its entrance on the western side of the building....