All Buildings

All campus buildings are child topics of this tag.

Insectary Greenhouse

Building Details

[under construction]

Hilgard Hall

Built 1917. Designed by John Galen Howard, this was one of the first campus buildings to acknowledge the city of Berkeley (by attempting to face both inward and outward at the same time). It was named for Eugene Hilgard, an agriculture professor who founded the University Agricultural Experimental Station. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Hesse Hall

Built 1924. Designed by John Galen Howard and named for the Prussian-born founder of the College of Mechanics, Frederick Godfrey Hesse.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: One entrance (to level one) on the north side enters at grade. None of the entrances provides an automatic opener.

Restrooms: Nearest accessible restrooms are either located in McCone or O'Brien.

Hellman Tennis Center

Built 1983. Named in honor of former alumnus Isias Warren Hellman III, the Hellman Tennis Center is home to Cal's tennis teams. The center was built in 1983 and features five courts used for practice and home dual match competitions.

Building Details

[under construction]

Hargrove Music Library

Built 2004. Home of the No. 1 academic library in the United States, this high-tech building in the "arts quadrangle" houses 190,000 volumes of printed music, books, and periodicals; more than 50,000 recordings; manuscripts; and other rare materials.

Building Details

[under construction]

Haas Clubhouse

Located on Centennial Drive east of Memorial Stadium, the Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area offers the spectacular Club House. The Club House is nestled in the Berkeley Hills, surrounded by greenery and placed away from the city in a very tranquil setting. Along two sides of the room, floor to ceiling windows overlook a wooden deck and nearby trees.

Building Details

[under construction]

Giauque Hall

Built 1954. Chemist William F. Giauque won the Nobel Prize in 1949 for low-temperature research. Labs in the largely underground building conduct research into properties of matter at supercold temperatures.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: The main entrance is located in the Hilderbrand Breezeway. The lab can also additionally be accessed by taking either the Latimer or Hilderbrand elevators to the basement and using a connecting tunnel.

Gilman Hall

Built 1917. Daniel Coit Gilman was a geology professor at Yale who became the University of California's second president (1872-75) before going on to found the Johns Hopkins University. The building was designed by John Galen Howard. Room 307, where plutonium was discovered in 1941, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Fox Cottage (2350 Bowditch)

Built 1930. Staff Ombuds Office.

Building Details

[under construction]