6. What happens after I file my grievance?

After receiving your grievance, the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer, or their designee, will investigate. The investigation may include, but may not be limited to, interviews with: (a) you; (b) the person(s), if any, who allegedly discriminated against you; and (c) any other person the investigator believes to have relevant knowledge concerning your grievance. The investigator will also consider any written evidence that is given to him/ her.

After completing the investigation, the investigator will review the factual information gathered through the...

5. What if I need assistance filling out my grievance?

Assistance filling out our intake form is available from within the Office of Disability Access & Compliance. Email and request the type of assistance you need. They can also provide you with the Access Violation or Disability Discrimination Grievance Procedure and Complaint Form in alternative formats.
Verbal grievances may be filed with DAC by contacting Steve Johnson, DAC Investigator: Steve...

4. Where should I submit my grievance?

You may file your grievance with the University’s designated ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer by completing the intake form. Their name, office address and telephone number are:

Ella Callow, JD

desk: (510) 664-4012 | cell: (510) 603-1481
615D University Hall, UC Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720

You may also mail your grievance, e-mail it, or deliver it in person.

If you believe the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer is involved in alleged...

3. What should the grievance include?

You may file your grievance through our intake form. Alternative methods of form submission can be made available on request. Whatever format you choose, your grievance must include the following information:

Your name, address, email address and telephone number. If a representative is filing the grievance on your behalf, his or her name, address and telephone number must also be included. A description of the offending behavior(s) or action(s) or violation(s). The date(s), time(s) and location(s) of the...

2. When should a grievance be filed?

Before filing a grievance, you may seek informal resolution by contacting the Department Head (chair, dean, director, etc.) or his/her designee of the affected department within 60 days of the alleged discriminatory action. If your informal concern is not resolved within ten (10) days, you have the right to file a formal grievance under this procedure.

Any grievance not resolved by the procedure described in Step 1 above, may be referred to the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer (or their...

8. Retaliation Policy

The University will not retaliate against you for filing a grievance and will not knowingly permit retaliation by its faculty or employees. The University will take reasonable steps to protect you from retaliation by others as a result of filing a grievance. Please let the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer know immediately if you feel you are being retaliated against for filing a grievance.

9. What if I am not satisfied with the results of the investigation?

If you are not satisfied with the results of the investigation, you may submit a verbal or written appeal within 10 days of your receipt of the findings. Your appeal should detail the reasons you believe the findings to be in error. You will receive a response within 5 days of the day you submit your appeal.

Your appeal should be directed to the ODAC.

If you are not satisfied with the results of the appeal, you may file a complaint with the appropriate agency or department of the State or Federal government. Contact the U.S. Department of...

7. When will I receive a response?

Absent extenuating circumstances, all grievances will be investigated, and a response issued, within 60 days of receipt of the formal grievance. If a delay is expected, the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer, or designee, will notify you in writing of the reason(s) for the delay, and the date by which you will receive a response.

Due to our current extenuating circumstances, all grievances will be investigated, and a response issued,within 120 days of receipt of the formal grievance, as opposed to the usual...

1. Who may file a grievance?

Any student, staff, faculty or visitor, or an authorized representative may file a grievance if they believe that: The University is not in compliance with the physical access requirements of the ADA/Section 504 and/or its own policies related to access or disabled people to its public facilities, land, or rights-of- way, or You or a specific class of individuals have been denied access to participate in University programs, services, or activities on the basis of disability, or You or a specific class of individuals have been otherwise subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability...