Bancroft Library

Built 1949. Home to many of the university Library's special collections, including one of the largest collections of Western Americana, the library was founded with Hubert Howe Bancroft's 19th century gift of his extensive library of California and Western history. The Bancroft also includes the Mark Twain Papers, the Regional Oral History Office, the University of California Archives, and other collections and artifacts. The building, designed by Arthur Brown Jr., reopened in 2009 after a major seismic upgrade; its newly renovated interior is one of the campus’s most beautiful spaces.

Building Details

[under construction]

Pictures of Hall

The front side of the Bancroft Library, facing east. In front of the main entrance is a small set of stairs.

Bancroft Library

The accessible entrance to the Bancroft Library, facing north. The access path is a ramp starting to the left.

East Access Path

The south accessible entrance to Bancroft Library. To the right of the leftmost set of doors is an automatic door opener.

South Entrance

Department(s):

Library

Location