Classrooms

Tan Hall

Built 1996. Named in honor of Tan Kah Kee, a pioneering industrialist and philanthropist in China and Singapore.

Building Details

Floors: 10

Accessible entrances: The main entrance to the ground (first) floor is usable (provides automatic openers), but the elevators that bring users to other floors are located to the side of the main entrance.

Restrooms: The nearest public accessible restrooms are located in...

Valley Life Sciences Building

Built 1930. Named not for its location but for Wayne and Gladys Valley, who contributed toward the vast building's major renovation in the early 1990s. The largest building in Berkeley (and the largest concrete building west of the Mississippi) when it was built in 1930, it remains the biggest building on campus, at over 400,000 square feet. Original exterior decorations from the George Kelham design include animal-shaped ornaments and the names of eight life science disciplines. Inside highlights include a giant T-Rex skeleton fronting the Museum of Paleontology....

North Gate Hall

Built 1906. This John Galen Howard building originally housed the School of Architecture and was affectionately called "the Ark." Added to the National Register if Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

[under construction]

Hearst Field Annex

Built 1999. This complex of metal-frame buildings hosts a changing array of departments and service units displaced by construction or space shortages elsewhere on campus.

Building Details

[under construction]

Wurster Hall

Built 1964. Although home to Berkeley's architecture department, Wurster is often voted Berkeley's ugliest building for its Brutalist, bare concrete appearance. But some of the "ugliness" is a result of functionality, like the concrete sunshades over windows to minimize energy costs. It was named for William Wurster, dean of the School of Architecture and its successor, the College of Environmental Design (1950-62), and his wife, lecturer Catherine Bauer Wurster.

Building Details

Floors: 11

...