Offices

Minor Hall

Built 1941. Named for Ralph S. Minor, whose 1903-46 tenure as an optometry professor included a stint as dean of the School of Optometry. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. Although the building began life housing mathematics, journalism, and "defense" courses, it was given over to the Radiation Laboratory during the wartime development of the atomic bomb. It was remodeled in 1953 for the exclusive use of the School of Optometry.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Math Sciences Research Institute (MSRI)

Built 1982. MSRI's funding sources include the National Science Foundation, foundations, corporations, and more than 90 universities and institutions. The Institute is located on the University of California, Berkeley campus, close to Grizzly Peak, on the hills overlooking Berkeley.

Building Details

[under construction]

Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union

Rebuilt 2015. The Student Union, owned by the ASUC Auxiliary, was constructed with funds gained from the sale of the Cal sports teams to the university in 1959. It contains an information center, multicultural center, lounges, a bookstore, restaurants and a pub, an art studio and computer lab. The orignal building was designed by Vernon DeMars, professor of architecture.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Legends Aquatic Center

Built 2016. The name honors coaching legends at Berkeley like the late Pete Cutino, considered one of the nation’s finest water polo coaches, and the four devoted alumni – Ned Spieker, Rick Cronk, Don Fisher and Warren Hellman, former student-athletes on the Cal men’s swimming and diving and water polo teams. The facility is primarily for the training of Cal’s intercollegiate swimmers, divers and water polo players.

Building Details

[under construction]

Lawrence Hall of Science

Built 1968. Established at UC Berkeley in honor of Ernest O. Lawrence, UC's first Nobel laureate, Lawrence Hall of Science is a resource center for preschool through high school science and mathematics education, and a public science center with hands-on experiences for learners of all ages.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Built 1931. Founded in 1931 by Ernest Orlando Lawrence as the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory, this U.S. Department of Energy facility is managed by the University of California. Among the 76 buildings nestled in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus is the Advanced Light Source, formerly Lawrence's 184-inch cyclotron, which played a key role in opening the Atomic Age.

Building Details

[under construction]

Koshland Hall

Built 1990. Named for Daniel Koshland, a Berkeley alumnus, biochemistry professor, and longtime editor of Science magazine.

Building Details

Floors: 8

Accessible entrances: Building can be entered on the lower level from the Northwest Parking Facility. There is a usable entrance on the south side of the entry level, 50 feet from the elevators and the main staircase.

Hesse Hall

Built 1924. Designed by John Galen Howard and named for the Prussian-born founder of the College of Mechanics, Frederick Godfrey Hesse.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: One entrance (to level one) on the north side enters at grade. None of the entrances provides an automatic opener.

Restrooms: Nearest accessible restrooms are either located in McCone or O'Brien.

Fox Cottage (2350 Bowditch)

Built 1930. Staff Ombuds Office.

Building Details

[under construction]

CNMAT (1750 Arch)

Building Details

[under construction]