Public Venue

Bancroft Dance Studio (2401 Bancroft Way)

Built 1898. Began life as the First Unitarian Church, designed by A.C. Schweinfurth. It was acquired by the university in 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Buildings Details

Floors: 2

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrace on the east side of the building at the top of the ramp.

Restrooms: There is an usable restroom on the ground floor.

Sather Tower (Campanile)

Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice. The 61 bells in the carillon are played three times daily, except during exams. The four clocks, the largest in California, have 17-foot hands made of Sitka spruce and numerals of bronze. Because of the consistent temperatures on its lower floors, the Campanile also houses many of the paleontology museum's fossils.

Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive

Built 2016. BAMPFA is the visual arts center of UC Berkeley. Its mission is to inspire the imagination and ignite critical dialogue through art and film. Founded in 1963, the institution opened the doors to its current home designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in January 2016.

Building Details

[under construction]

Alumni House

Built with funds from thousands of alumni donations, this contemporary structure along the banks of Strawberry Creek is a meeting place for alumni revisiting campus and headquarters for the California Alumni Assocation.

Building Details

[under construction]

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed. It was modeled after the theater at Epidaurus, with a few Roman elements thrown in. The 7,200-seat open-air theater has been host to numerous commencements, concerts, plays, speeches by presidents and other luminaries, and Big Game rallies. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Haas Pavilion

Built 1999. Built in 1933 as Harmon Gym; reconstructed in 1999 as Haas Pavilion, a state-of-the-art basketball arena and sports facility that preserved the intimacy, noise level, and intimidating home-court advantage of its predecessor. The 12,000-seat complex is named in honor of Walter A. Haas, Jr.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Underhill Field and Parking

Built 2008. Atop the lot, a 77,400-square-foot synthetic turf playing fieldhosts intramural sports leagues, sport club practices, and special events.

Building Details

[under construction]

Women's Faculty Club

Built 1923. The wood-framed structure designed by John Galen Howard includes living rooms, a lounge, and dining rooms.

Building Details

[under construction]

Spieker Aquatics Complex

Built 1999. Serving as home to the California water polo and swimming teams is the Spieker Aquatics Complex, one of the finest outdoor facilities in the United States. Having had a two-year hiatus due to the construction of Haas Pavilion, the Cal men's and women's water polo teams returned to full-time action at Spieker Aquatics Complex in 1999.

Building Details

[under construction]

Minor Hall Addition

Built 1978. Completed in 1978, the building is a modernist concrete structure with woodbeam trim and substantial window bays providing an emphasis on open views. Minor Addition is home to the School of Optometry clinics, including the Meredith W. Morgan University Eye Center (Clinic), as well as administrative/staff rooms, and research laboratories and faculty offices.

Building Details

Floors: 5