Residence Hall

Unit 3

Built 1964. Designed by John Warnecke, these four high-rise residence halls (Ida Sproul, Norton, Priestly, Spens-Black) were the last of the three Southside units to be built for the flood of 1960s students.

Building Details

[under construction]

Unit 2

Built 1960. Designed by John Warnecke, and built to accommodate the surge of new students in the 1960s. The original four high-rise residence halls (Davidson, Griffiths, Ehrman, Cunningham) were joined by two new halls, Towle and Wada, in 2005.

Building Details

[under construction]

Unit 1

Built 1960. Built to accomodate the flood of new students entering UC Berkeley in the 1960s. Designed by John Warnecke. Originally four residence halls (Cheney, Putnam, Deutsch, Freeborn), two additional residence halls (Christian and Slottman) were completed in 2005. The complex also houses the African American Theme Program (in Christian Hall) and the Disabled Students' Residence Program (in Cheney Hall).

Building Details

[under construction]

Martinez Commons

Built 2012. Located at 2520 Channing Way, Maximo Martinez Commons opened its doors in August 2012, when more than 400 students, mostly sophomores, took up residence in the modern six-story facility built to LED Gold Sustainability standards. The commons is named in memory f Max Martinez, a longtime Berkeley staff member who dedicated his career to helping students, particularly the underprivileged.

Building Details

[under construction]

Cleary Hall

Built 1992. Across the street from the Unit 3 high-rise residence halls, Cleary Hall is home to two of the campus's residence hall theme programs: Casa Magdalena Mora for Chicano/Latino studies, and the Asian Pacific American theme program. It is named for prize-winning children's book author (and Cal alum) Beverly Cleary.

Building Details

[under construction]

Clark Kerr Campus

Built 1949. Built in 1949 as the California Schools for the Deaf and Blind; became the Clark Kerr Campus in 1986, named in honor of Berkeley's first chancellor. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

[under construction]

Stern Hall

Built 1942. This all-female dorm is named for Rosalie Stern, whose husband, Sigmund, served as manager of the Blue and Gold yearbook. It was the first university-owned residence hall for women.

Building Details

[under construction]

Manville Hall

Building Details

[under construction]