Built 1907. Designed by John Galen Howard and financed by Phoebe Apperson Hearst as a memorial to her husband George, "a plain honest man and good miner," silver tycoon, and U.S. senator. The building underwent a massive restoration, completed in 2002, that included cutting-edge seismic retrofitting to protect the building in the event of a major earthquake. In addition to its meticulously restored vaulted entrance gallery, elegant sculptured windows, and grand marble staircase, the building houses new laboratories for advanced experiments in computation, ceramics, metals, and polymers, as well as facilities to develop nanoscale and superconducting materials. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Accessible entrances: The accessible entrance is located on the west side of the building and features an automatic door opener.
Restrooms: There are usable men's and women's restrooms on the second floor.
Designated waiting area: The Designated Waiting Areas are located the ends of both halls next to the stairwell
Emergency evacuation cabinet: W: The emergency evacuation cabinet is located directly next to the basement accessible entrance.