Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice. The 61 bells in the carillon are played three times daily, except during exams. The four clocks, the largest in California, have 17-foot hands made of Sitka spruce and numerals of bronze. Because of the consistent temperatures on its lower floors, the Campanile also houses many of the paleontology museum's fossils. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The Campanile's observation deck is open daily.