Built 1907. French architect Henri Jean Emile Benard was the winner of the university's Comprehensive Building Plan of 1900, funded by campus benefactor Phoebe Apperson Hearst. Benard collected his $10,000 prize, but declined appointment as the campus's supervising architect (balking at leaving the sophistication of Paris for Berkeley's turn-of-the-century ruggedness); University House is the only building from his plan that was actually constructed. Surrounding the stately home are extensive gardens and a large floral clock donated by the Swiss government. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.