A-D

Archaeological Research Facility

Located at 2251 College, the Archaeological Research Facility once housed Zeta Psi, the oldest fraternity west of the Misissippi River.

Building Details

[under construction]

Bancroft Dance Studio (2401 Bancroft Way)

Built 1898. Began life as the First Unitarian Church, designed by A.C. Schweinfurth. It was acquired by the university in 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Buildings Details

Floors: 2

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrace on the east side of the building at the top of the ramp.

Restrooms: There is an usable restroom on the ground floor.

Berkeley Way West

Built 2018.

Building Details

[under construction]

Chou Hall

Built 2018. Connie and Kevin Chou Hall is on track to be the country's greenest academic building. Designed to be 40% more energy- and water-efficient than similar buildings, Chou Hall is also the first academic building in the country designed for both LEED Platinum and WELL certifications, the latter a designation reflecting a focus on user health and well-being. The building's Zero Waste initiative - a first for this nation's business schools - aims to divert 90% of waste from landfills and achieve Zero Waste certification.

Center for Southeast Asian Studies (1995 University Ave.)

The Center for Southeast Asia Studies is one of the oldest and most prominent academic centers concerned with Southeast Asia in the United States. CSEAS functions as an administrative base to promote attention at UC Berkeley to the countries and peoples of Southeast Asia and to encourage the growth of Southeast Asian Studies on campus.

Building Details

[under construction]

Sather Tower (Campanile)

Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice. The 61 bells in the carillon are played three times daily, except during exams. The four clocks, the largest in California, have 17-foot hands made of Sitka spruce and numerals of bronze. Because of the consistent temperatures on its lower floors, the Campanile also houses many of the paleontology museum's fossils.

Cleary Hall

Built 1992. Across the street from the Unit 3 high-rise residence halls, Cleary Hall is home to two of the campus's residence hall theme programs: Casa Magdalena Mora for Chicano/Latino studies, and the Asian Pacific American theme program. It is named for prize-winning children's book author (and Cal alum) Beverly Cleary.

Building Details

[under construction]

CNMAT (1750 Arch)

Building Details

[under construction]

Clark Kerr Campus

Built 1949. Built in 1949 as the California Schools for the Deaf and Blind; became the Clark Kerr Campus in 1986, named in honor of Berkeley's first chancellor. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

[under construction]

Anthony Hall

Named for alumnus Earle C. Anthony, the world's most prominent Packard car dealer, who founded (in 1903) the Pelican, Berkeley's first humor magazine, during his student years.

Building Details

[under construction]