Center-West Campus

Dwinelle Hall

Built 1952. With more than 300,000 square feet of office and classroom space, an infuriating room-numbering system, and a layout often likened to a maze, Dwinelle is the second largest building on campus. It is named for John W. Dwinelle, a UC regent, state assemblyman, and author of the 1868 "Organic Act" establishing the University of California. In the center is Ishi Court, named in honor of a Native American "found" by anthropologist Alfred Kroeber near Oroville, CA, in 1911 and brought to live in the UC Berkeley Museum of Anthropology.

Senior Hall

Built 1906. This log cabin behind the Faculty Club was originally a meeting hall for the senior class. It was the first campus building to be built with student donations. Spared from planned dismantling in 1973, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places the following year. It is the meeting place for the Order of the Golden Bear.

Building Details

[under construction]

Life Sciences Addition

Built 1988. Part of a major campus drive to improve facilities for biology studies, the six-story LSA houses 46 laboratory suites for advanced biological research.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Accessible entrances: The accessible entrance is located on the north side of the building and it includes an automatic door opener.

Valley Life Sciences Building

Built 1930. Named not for its location but for Wayne and Gladys Valley, who contributed toward the vast building's major renovation in the early 1990s. The largest building in Berkeley (and the largest concrete building west of the Mississippi) when it was built in 1930, it remains the biggest building on campus, at over 400,000 square feet. Original exterior decorations from the George Kelham design include animal-shaped ornaments and the names of eight life science disciplines.