Center Campus

Main (Gardner) Stacks

Building Details

[under construction]

Wheeler Hall

Named for Benjamin Ide Wheeler, university president during Berkeley's "golden years" from 1899-1919. The French Baroque facade includes arched doorways leading into a vaulted auditorium lobby, ionic columns across the middle floors, and a colonnade ornamented with urn-shaped lamps symbolizing, according to designer John Galen Howard, "the light of learning." It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

South Hall

Built 1873. The oldest structure on campus, and the only surviving building of the original university nucleus, South Hall was the original home of the College of Agriculture. It once had a near twin, North Hall, situated where the Bancroft Library stands today. The brick structure, designed by Scottish architect David Farquharson, is a rare and distinguished example of the Second Empire style.

Moffitt Library

Built 1970. Moffitt Library offers a 24 hour environment for individual and group study space, plus course reserves, a makerspace, campus classrooms, and convenient access to the research collections in the Gardner (MAIN) Stacks. FSM Cafe in Moffitt is open to all visitors; library access is limited to UC Berkeley students and faculty.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Valley Life Sciences Building

Built 1930. Named not for its location but for Wayne and Gladys Valley, who contributed toward the vast building's major renovation in the early 1990s. The largest building in Berkeley (and the largest concrete building west of the Mississippi) when it was built in 1930, it remains the biggest building on campus, at over 400,000 square feet. Original exterior decorations from the George Kelham design include animal-shaped ornaments and the names of eight life science disciplines.