South-Center Campus

Bancroft Dance Studio (2401 Bancroft Way)

Built 1898. Began life as the First Unitarian Church, designed by A.C. Schweinfurth. It was acquired by the university in 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

Buildings Details

Floors: 2

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrace on the east side of the building at the top of the ramp.

Restrooms: There is an usable restroom on the ground floor.

Barrows Hall

Built 1964. Named for David Prescott Barrows, political science professor and president of the university from 1919-23.

Cesar E. Chavez Student Center

Built 1960. Named in honor of the charismatic founding president of the farm workers' union. The building was once mainly a dining commons and lounge, but in 1990 it was renovated to house various student services.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union

Rebuilt 2015. The Student Union, owned by the ASUC Auxiliary, was constructed with funds gained from the sale of the Cal sports teams to the university in 1959. It contains an information center, multicultural center, lounges, a bookstore, restaurants and a pub, an art studio and computer lab. The orignal building was designed by Vernon DeMars, professor of architecture.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Architects & Engineers (A&E)

Built in 1929. Originally the Buildings & Grounds building, it was designed by W.P. Stephenson. It now houses the campus planning staff.

Building Details

[under construction]

Eshleman Hall

Built 2015. ASUC Student Union, Public Service Center, Graduate Assembly, bridges Multicultural Resource Center, LEAD Center, Queer Alliance and Resource Center.

Building Details

[under construction]

Zellerbach Hall

Built 1968. The primary fine arts performance space on campus is named for Isadore and Jennie Zellerbach, who contributed $1 million toward its construction. The 2,100-seat main auditorium has witnessed performances by many of the world's most acclaimed orchestras, vocalists, dance companies, and speakers. There is also a 500-seat Playhouse for smaller productions.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Sproul Hall

Built 1941. Robert Gordon Sproul graduated from Berkeley in 1913, then worked his way up at his alma mater from cashier to president (1930-58). Sproul was the first Berkeley alumnus and the first native Californian to serve as university president. The neoclassical building, designed by Arthur Brown, Jr., housed the offices of the chancellor and other top administrators until the 1960s, when they were repeatedly occupied by students from the Free Speech Movement. The chancellor subsequently decamped for more-secure California Hall.