A-D

Calvin Laboratory

Built 1964. Melvin Calvin, molecular biology professor, won the 1961 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on photosynthesis. He designed a round lab so that everyone's office would open onto a central room, thus generating creative interaction.

Building Details

[under construction]

Barrows Hall

Built 1964. Named for David Prescott Barrows, political science professor and president of the university from 1919-23.

Building Information

Floors: 10
Accessible entrances: Four Automatic entrances located on the Ground floor. Three are located on East and West corners of the building, while the fourth is accessed via a ramp on the north side courtyard.

Restrooms: There are usable restrooms on the basement, first and second floors.

Designated waiting area: The
...

Barker Hall

Built 1964. Designed by William Wurster and named for Horace Albert Barker, a biochemist specializing in metabolism.

Building Details

[under construction]

Bancroft Library

Built 1949. Home to many of the university Library's special collections, including one of the largest collections of Western Americana, the library was founded with Hubert Howe Bancroft's 19th century gift of his extensive library of California and Western history. The Bancroft also includes the Mark Twain Papers, the Regional Oral History Office, the University of California Archives, and other collections and artifacts. The building, designed by Arthur Brown Jr., reopened in 2009 after a major seismic upgrade; its newly renovated interior is one of the campus’s most beautiful...

Archaeological Research Facility

Located at 2251 College, the Archaeological Research Facility once housed Zeta Psi, the oldest fraternity west of the Misissippi River.

Building Details

[under construction]

Anthony Hall

Named for alumnus Earle C. Anthony, the world's most prominent Packard car dealer, who founded (in 1903) the Pelican, Berkeley's first humor magazine, during his student years.

Building Details

[under construction]

Alumni House

Built with funds from thousands of alumni donations, this contemporary structure along the banks of Strawberry Creek is a meeting place for alumni revisiting campus and headquarters for the California Alumni Assocation.

Building Details

[under construction]

Cesar E. Chavez Student Center

Built 1960. Named in honor of the charismatic founding president of the farm workers' union. The building was once mainly a dining commons and lounge, but in 1990 it was renovated to house various student services.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: There is an Automatic door on the basement level from MLK Student Union Garage. An automatic opener is provided on the basement level. The main entrance from Lower Sproul Plaza on level one provides...

Center for Southeast Asian Studies (1995 University Ave.)

The Center for Southeast Asia Studies is one of the oldest and most prominent academic centers concerned with Southeast Asia in the United States. CSEAS functions as an administrative base to promote attention at UC Berkeley to the countries and peoples of Southeast Asia and to encourage the growth of Southeast Asian Studies on campus.

Building Details

[under construction]