North-West Campus

Energy Biosciences Building

Built 2012. Multidisciplinary faculty who are applying modern biology to the production of biofuels are housed in EBB, along with Bioengineering faculty focused on synthetic biology. The Robert J. and Mary Catherine Birgeneau Energy Garden on the south side of the building recognizes Berkeley's ninth chancellor and showcases plants that are potential biofuel feedstocks.

Building Details

[under construction]

Henry H. Wheeler Brain Imaging Center

Built 1998. The Henry H. "Sam" Wheeler, Jr. Brain Imaging Center (BIC) houses one of the most powerful human research functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) system in the United States. The 4 tesla magnet provides an opportunity for research collaboration in functional neuroimaging among diverse fields. Data are analyzed at the Judy & John Webb Neuroimaging Computational Facility also housed on the Berkeley campus.

Building Details

[under construction]

Wellman Hall

Built 1912. Harry Wellman, professor of agricultural economics, was acting university president in 1967 when the building's name was changed from Agriculture Hall. Designed by John Galen Howard and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

Floors: 5

University Hall

Built 1959. This seven-story tower at the west edge of campus, designed by Welton Becet & Associates, originally housed the University of California Office of the President. When UCOP relocated to Oakland, University Hall became home to the campus's Visitor Center and a variety of administrative offices.

Building Details

[under construction]

University House

Built 1907. French architect Henri Jean Emile Benard was the winner of the university's Comprehensive Building Plan of 1900, funded by campus benefactor Phoebe Apperson Hearst. Benard collected his $10,000 prize, but declined appointment as the campus's supervising architect (balking at leaving the sophistication of Paris for Berkeley's turn-of-the-century ruggedness); University House is the only building from his plan that was actually constructed. Surrounding the stately home are extensive gardens and a large floral clock donated by the Swiss government.

Koshland Hall

Built 1990. Named for Daniel Koshland, a Berkeley alumnus, biochemistry professor, and longtime editor of Science magazine.

Building Details

Floors: 8

Accessible entrances: Building can be entered on the lower level from the Northwest Parking Facility. There is a usable entrance on the south side of the entry level, 50 feet from the elevators and the main staircase.

Hilgard Hall

Built 1917. Designed by John Galen Howard, this was one of the first campus buildings to acknowledge the city of Berkeley (by attempting to face both inward and outward at the same time). It was named for Eugene Hilgard, an agriculture professor who founded the University Agricultural Experimental Station. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Genetics & Plant Biology

Built 1990. One of four circa-1990 building projects aimed at revitalizing the biological sciences on the Berkeley campus, this building houses classrooms, laboratories, and office space.

Building Details

Floors: 3

Accessible entrances: The first floor has four separate buildings that contain classrooms. The doors to the classrooms are usable but do not automatic openers.

Barker Hall

Built 1964. Designed by William Wurster and named for Horace Albert Barker, a biochemist specializing in metabolism.

Building Details

[under construction]

Giannini Hall

Built 1930. Designed by William C. Hays, this building was named for benefactor Amadeo Peter Giannini, founder of the Bank of Italy (which eventually became the Bank of America). The light-splashed entry hall and grand split staircase are filled with Art Deco details. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

Floors: 4