Center-East Campus

Stephens Hall

Built 1923. The building, which formerly served as the Student Union, was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by John Galen Howard and named for Henry Morse Stephens, a professor and student adviser.

Building Details

[under construction]

Pimentel Hall

Built 1964. Pimentel's circular lecture hall is on the cutting edge of classroom technology, including a revolving stage that allows multiple professors to teach, clean up, and set up at the same time, so that the room can be used continuously despite the long setup times involved in chemistry lectures.

Building Details

Floors: 2

Accessible entrances: There are two entrances to the building. The main entrance that faces west is usable...

Sather Tower (Campanile)

Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice. The 61 bells in the carillon are played three times daily, except during exams. The four clocks, the largest in California, have 17-foot hands made of Sitka spruce and numerals of bronze. Because of the consistent temperatures on its lower floors, the Campanile also houses many of the paleontology museum's fossils. Added to the National Register of...

Chou Hall

Built 2018. Connie and Kevin Chou Hall is on track to be the country's greenest academic building. Designed to be 40% more energy- and water-efficient than similar buildings, Chou Hall is also the first academic building in the country designed for both LEED Platinum and WELL certifications, the latter a designation reflecting a focus on user health and well-being. The building's Zero Waste initiative - a first for this nation's business schools - aims to divert 90% of waste from landfills and achieve Zero Waste certification.

Building Details

[under...

Campbell Hall

Built 2014. Named for William Wallace Campbell, astronomy professor, director of the Lick Observatory, and university president from 1923-30. The new building ncludes a roof top observatory, a radio observatory, research facilities, faculty and staff offices; and other support spaces.

Building Details

Floors: 8

Accessible entrances: [under construction]

Restrooms: [under construction]

Cheit Hall

Built 1995. Located within the Haas School of Business.

Building Details

Floors: 4

Accessible entrances: There are two accessible entrances. The first floor entrance is on the west side and the second floor entrance is located on the east side of the building.

Restrooms: All restrooms in the building are usable.

Designated waiting area: The Designated Waiting...

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed. It was modeled after the theater at Epidaurus, with a few Roman elements thrown in. The 7,200-seat open-air theater has been host to numerous commencements, concerts, plays, speeches by presidents and other luminaries, and Big Game rallies. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details...

Hildebrand Hall

Built 1966. Named after Joel Hildebrand, longtime chemistry professor and dean, and the inventor of Chem-1A's fabled Big Game Titration. The building houses graduate research laboratories, undergraduate teaching labs, and the chemistry library.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Accessible entrances: There are two entrances to Hildebrand. The first is the breezway accessible from the south. The second is the library and its entrance on the western side of the building....

Women's Faculty Club

Built 1923. The wood-framed structure designed by John Galen Howard includes living rooms, a lounge, and dining rooms.

Building Details

[under construction]

Minor Hall Addition

Built 1978. Completed in 1978, the building is a modernist concrete structure with woodbeam trim and substantial window bays providing an emphasis on open views. Minor Addition is home to the School of Optometry clinics, including the Meredith W. Morgan University Eye Center (Clinic), as well as administrative/staff rooms, and research laboratories and faculty offices.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The accessible entrance is located on the south side of the...