Q-T

Space Sciences Laboratory

Built 1959. The Space Sciences Laboratory (SSL) at Berkeley was initiated in 1958 by a committee of the faculty who recognized that the new technology of rockets and satellites opened new realms of investigation and research to the physical, biological, and engineering sciences. The Laboratory is located in a wooded site with a view of the bay which is one of the most beautiful on the Berkeley campus.

Building Details

[under construction]

Stephens Hall

Built 1923. The building, which formerly served as the Student Union, was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by John Galen Howard and named for Henry Morse Stephens, a professor and student adviser.

Building Details

[under construction]

Spieker Aquatics Complex

Built 1999. Serving as home to the California water polo and swimming teams is the Spieker Aquatics Complex, one of the finest outdoor facilities in the United States. Having had a two-year hiatus due to the construction of Haas Pavilion, the Cal men's and women's water polo teams returned to full-time action at Spieker Aquatics Complex in 1999.

Building Details

[under construction]

Simon Hall

Built 1966. Once a residence hall for law students, it now houses offices for faculty, student organizations, and student publications.

Building Details

Floors: 9

Accessible entrances: The entrance on the south end of the building has a ramp and is equipped with an automatic door.

Restrooms: The mens and women's restrooms on the second floor are located in the north end of Simon Hall. Both are single user.

Senior Hall

Built 1906. This log cabin behind the Faculty Club was originally a meeting hall for the senior class. It was the first campus building to be built with student donations. Spared from planned dismantling in 1973, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places the following year. It is the meeting place for the Order of the Golden Bear.

Building Details

[under construction]

Recreational Sports Facility (RSF)

Built 1984. Dozens of sporting opportunities under one roof: basketball, volleyball, handball, squash and racquetball courts, martial arts, weight and workout rooms, a fitness center, aerobics and dance classes, the Spieker Aquatics Complex. The $19.9 million facility was financed entirely with student registration fees.

Building Details

[under construction]

Sather Tower (Campanile)

Built 1914. Popularly known as the Campanile, the 307-foot tower is named for Jane K. Sather, designed by John Galen Howard, and built at a cost of $250,000. Its nickname derives from its resemblance to St. Mark's Campanile in Venice. The 61 bells in the carillon are played three times daily, except during exams. The four clocks, the largest in California, have 17-foot hands made of Sitka spruce and numerals of bronze. Because of the consistent temperatures on its lower floors, the Campanile also houses many of the paleontology museum's fossils.

Stern Hall

Built 1942. This all-female dorm is named for Rosalie Stern, whose husband, Sigmund, served as manager of the Blue and Gold yearbook. It was the first university-owned residence hall for women.

Building Details

[under construction]