Center-East Campus

Greek Theatre

Built 1903. Built on the site of a natural amphitheater in the hills above campus, with funds donated by William Randolph Hearst, the Greek Theatre was the first building designed by campus architect John Galen Howard to be completed. It was modeled after the theater at Epidaurus, with a few Roman elements thrown in. The 7,200-seat open-air theater has been host to numerous commencements, concerts, plays, speeches by presidents and other luminaries, and Big Game rallies. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details...

Hildebrand Hall

Built 1966. Named after Joel Hildebrand, longtime chemistry professor and dean, and the inventor of Chem-1A's fabled Big Game Titration. The building houses graduate research laboratories, undergraduate teaching labs, and the chemistry library.

Building Details

Floors: 7

Accessible entrances: There are two entrances to Hildebrand. The first is the breezway accessible from the south. The second is the library and its entrance on the western side of the building....

Women's Faculty Club

Built 1923. The wood-framed structure designed by John Galen Howard includes living rooms, a lounge, and dining rooms.

Building Details

[under construction]

Minor Hall Addition

Built 1978. Completed in 1978, the building is a modernist concrete structure with woodbeam trim and substantial window bays providing an emphasis on open views. Minor Addition is home to the School of Optometry clinics, including the Meredith W. Morgan University Eye Center (Clinic), as well as administrative/staff rooms, and research laboratories and faculty offices.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The accessible entrance is located on the south side of the...

Minor Hall

Built 1941. Named for Ralph S. Minor, whose 1903-46 tenure as an optometry professor included a stint as dean of the School of Optometry. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. Although the building began life housing mathematics, journalism, and "defense" courses, it was given over to the Radiation Laboratory during the wartime development of the atomic bomb. It was remodeled in 1953 for the exclusive use of the School of Optometry.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The...

Gilman Hall

Built 1917. Daniel Coit Gilman was a geology professor at Yale who became the University of California's second president (1872-75) before going on to found the Johns Hopkins University. The building was designed by John Galen Howard. Room 307, where plutonium was discovered in 1941, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.

Building Details

Floors: 5

Accessible entrances: The main entrance to Gilman Hall is one the west side of the building, located at...

Faculty Club

Built 1903. Designed by distinguished local architect Bernard Maybeck, this rustic Arts and Crafts structure provides dining facilities for faculty members and guests, and temporary residential quarters for visiting professors, members and their guests. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Building Details

[under construction]

Birge Hall

Built 1964. Raymond Thayer Birge had been a professor of physics for 45 years (including 22 as department chair) when the new Birge Hall was named in his honor. Designed by John Warnecke, it replaced Bacon Hall (1881), formerly the university's elegant library and art gallery.

Building Details

Floors: 9

Accessible entrances: There is an accessible entrance on the north side of the building beneath the breezeway connecting it with LeConte. There is an automatic door opener....

Lewis Hall

Built 1948. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr., and named for Gilbert Lewis, dean of the College of Chemistry from 1912-41.

Building Details

Floors: 6

Accessible entrances: There are two entrances to the ground level at grade on the west side of the building, one of which provides an automatic opener.

Restrooms: Two multiple user restrooms on the ground level provide front-transfer stalls. Two multiple restrooms on level one and level two provide side transfer stalls...

Tan Hall

Built 1996. Named in honor of Tan Kah Kee, a pioneering industrialist and philanthropist in China and Singapore.

Building Details

Floors: 10

Accessible entrances: The main entrance to the ground (first) floor is usable (provides automatic openers), but the elevators that bring users to other floors are located to the side of the main entrance.

Restrooms: The nearest public accessible restrooms are located in Latimer Hall....